Monday, May 21, 2007

Bee Confident

I guess when Bee keeping it pays to have a certain confidence in the ability of your Bees to look after themselves. Although you’re a self titled 'Bee Keeper', its important to remember, in all probability, your more of a 'Bee Manipulator', and the Bee's do what come naturally to them.

There was no doubt in my mind I was worried about the health of the Bee's when I got home on Friday night. It had still been pouring down with rain and the thunderstorms had not let up much.

I rushed home from work to follow Kevin’s example in feeding the Bee's. I took the metal plug out of the top of the nuc and put my jar of sugar syrup over the hole, I used to small wooden blocks to raise the jar about ½ inch, so the Bee's could scurry under it for a drink. The bee’s came out in a decent size handful and it looked pretty packed inside – I was pleased to see the activity. I placed an empty brood chamber around the jar to protect it from getting blown over and to provide some darkness.
I checked the jar mid-weekend and the Bee's were definitely clumping around it and feeding.
I noticed that the sun came out for a few minutes yesterday (Sunday). In the short time the sun was actually out, my wife had noticed a cloud of bee’s accumulating around the front of the hive, it was almost like they were taking a cleansing flight of some kind and were happy to get out for a few minutes. I wondered if they were doing any foraging at all. I understand we are in for some sun this week. If I can get home from work before 4pm one afternoon I will be looking to get the Bee's into the first brood chamber of the new hive.

I'd also like to add my confidence in being around them and having them in my yard has also been building since I first got them. I am almost ready to experience the number of Bee's that I imagine are going to amass around me when I do the transfer to the hive.

No comments: