Friday, May 18, 2007

Becoming a Bee Mummy and a Bee Daddy

Well Kevin headed home with his Bee's and I stood in the dark holding my box of angry little girls.

Experiencing some mild paranoia I resigned to placing my Nucleus Hive at the far side of my house; the furthest distance from my Bedroom window I might add. For some reason I had visions of waking up with a swarm of Bees on my face, don't ask me why :)

The box was silent the next morning, unlike the night before. It lay at the side of the house where I had abandoned it.

I noticed the overcast sky so I figured I would go out and try and get the small hive on the tree stump stand we’d prepared for it, at least before the heavens opened up and the rain started to pour.

Wearing my veil and gloves, I placed the nuc where I wanted it, I pulled out the mesh screen blocking the entrance and a good handful of angry little Bees fell out onto the entrance board and amassed around me in a small cloud. I could feel a couple of immediate bumps of the tiny bees flying into me as a warning, at which point I turned and jogged lightly around the side of the house being pursued by a couple.

I was able to walk back to the nuc within a couple of minutes, the handful of bees had dispersed, I was hoping they had gone on a foraging flight, but more likely they had seen the clouds and gone back inside.

I took a couple of pictures and decided to clean up in the hope my full size hive would arrive this week and I could transfer the Bees. Well more to come on that one... wonder how Kevins been coming along...

I also found out my wife and I were going to be having our first Baby on the day the Bees arrived! So I guess we get to be a double Mummy and Daddy in some respects!

No comments: